The NBOMe-type hallucinogens are novel psychoactive substances that are potent hallucinogens. NBOMe-type hallucinogens are not “synthetic LSD” and in fact, are not related to LSD in any way. Instead, the NBOMe-type hallucinogens are analogs of the 2C-type hallucinogens, including 2CB and 2CI – more closely related to mescaline than LSD. Dovetail has produced a short 20 minute video presentation about the NBOMe hallucinogens, which includes the history of the substances, the health risks and effects, as well as an overview of some of the seizures of NBOMe. NBOMe has appeared in various forms including on blotter paper sold as LSD, pressed tablets sold as ecstasy, capsules, liquid or powder. This potent hallucinogen can cause significant harm, and there are some important harm reduction messages for workers.
More information on NBOMe
* Hill, S., Doris, T., Gurung, S., Katebe, S., Lomas, A., Dunn, M., Blain, P., Thomas, S. (2013) “Severe clinical toxicity associated with analytically confirmed recreational use of 25I-NBOMe: Case series” in Clinical Toxicology July 2013, Vol 51, No. 6, pp487-492
* Lawn, W., Barratt, M., Williams, M., Horne, A., Winstock, A. (2014) “The NBOMe Hallucinogenic drug series: Patterns of use, characteristics of users and self-reported effects in a large international sample” in Journal of Psychopharmacology February 2014 (E-pub ahead of print)
* Tang, M.H.Y., Ching, C.K., Tsui, M.S.H., Chu, F.K.C., Mak, T.W.L. (2014) “Two cases of severe intoxication associated with analytically confirmed use of the novel psychoactive substances 25B-NBOMe and 25C-NBOMe” in Clinical Toxicology Vol 52, 2014, Issue 5, pp561-565
* Walterscheid, J., Phillips, G., Lopez, A., Gonsoulin, M., Chen, H., Sanchez, L. (2014) “Pathological findings in 2 cases of fatal 25I-NBOMe toxicity” in The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology March 2014, Vol 35, Issue 1, pp20-25
* Caldicott, D., Bright, S., Barratt, M. (2013) “NBOMe: A very different kettle of fish…” in The Medical Journal of Australia Vol 199 (5) pp322-323